- Select an SSD lawyer with the right experience. A constitutional lawyer is not the best choice to help with a disability claim, and conversely, an SSD lawyer wouldn’t be the best choice in a criminal case.
- Do your research. Before meeting with an SSD lawyer, do some research into the various candidates that you are considering and find out their areas of experience and expertise. Find out how many cases they handle at a time, what their fees are, how successful they have been, and what others say about them. Find out where they went to school, who they worked for, which clients they tend to represent, and what their peers have said. You can even access their cases online to see their work in progress.
- Find the right mix of experience, skill and rate. In general, you want to find an SSD lawyer with the most experience and skill at the most affordable rate. Inquire about discounted rates, contingency, pro bono, or other special payment terms and understand where the attorneys you’re evaluating fit in terms of skill, experience and cost.
- Explore your legal options. Find out what options each prospect suggests. A good SSD lawyer will present options that you didn’t even know existed.
- Find your comfort zone. Absolutely choose an SSD lawyer that you feel comfortable with. Some lawyers work on only a few large cases at a time and others take on many clients simultaneously. If it is important to you that you’re able to talk with your lawyer on a daily or weekly basis, find out if that will be possible before you hire him or her. Some lawyers are simply not available very often, while others have more open schedules.
- Meet the team. Often, a lawyer will assign a paralegal to a case and you’re likely to do a good deal of interacting them. Visit the lawyer’s office and meet his or her staff and watch how they conduct business. Regardless of who you choose, their staff will be your staff. They will get to know you and they will be handling many aspects of your case. If you like the feeling of of the law office, the staff is professional and courteous in and all of the other factors check out, you may have found a keeper.
If you are facing the possibility of being denied social security disability benefits, don’t be intimidated into a decision that could cost you your future. Hire an experienced SSD lawyer to represent your interests.
Hiring the right SSD lawyer can result in vast improvements in your life circumstances. In fact, they may just be the most important person you ever form a business relationship with.
If you would like to speak to a Lemoine Law Firm SSD lawyer, please contact us at 888-468-3741, send a message; or chat online with a representative any time.